Tag Archives: The Sleuth Kit

Extracting and Parsing the MFT of a logical disk from a Live Windows Machine

17 May

Over the weekend I had a family Windows XP box come to me with fake AV malware. The user indicated they didn’t know how or when it happened. Out of curiosity I began to investigate the cause and decided to see if could replicate Tim Mugherini’s work as presented on Pauldotcom on this system to determine when the infection took place, and any possible related files.

My first step was to grab the latest release of The Sleuth Kit (TSK). Once the files were obtained and extracted the next trick was how to extract the MFT. Most of the reference materials I was able to locate on using TSK involved passing an image file to the utility in use. I had no desire to image the whole 160GB drive just for the MFT. Looking at further reference sites, I did see some passing the a hard drive directly, but they were Linux systems. I also didn’t have the option of booting from a Live Linux distro at the time. I finally found a post by Rob Lee on the SANS Computer Forensics blog that referenced a logical drive in Windows in a way The Sleuth Kit utilities would recognize it. The commands below have been translated from here for Windows:


fsstat \.C:

ifind -d number_address(from above) \.C:

istat \.C: | more

 

 

icat \.C: 0-128-1 > MFTextracted

This left me with a raw MFT file which isn’t very useful unless you parse it. I first tried to use Mark Menz MFT Ripper, but the free version is limited to 50,000 lines. Next I turned to the David Kovar’s analyzeMFT.py. I didn’t have a Python environment on the system I wanted to analyze from so I need to quick setup Python. I decided to use ActivePython, and grabbed the 3.2 version of Python. I made sure Python was in my Path and tried to run the script:

python .analyzeMFT -f MFTextrated -o T:TempMFTextracted.csv

Everything seemed fine, but I kept receiving syntax errors. I couldn’t find anything obvious on this error, but I did see at least one post reference using Python 2.7. To troubleshoot, I grab ActivePython 2.7, installed, and then changed my Path to point to 2.7 instead of 3.2. After reloading my command prompt, I kicked off the same command to successfully begin the parsing.

Advertisements